The Jewish Federation is committed to fostering a Jewish community where everyone feels welcome and has the resources they need to reach their full potential. To ensure we can lead our communities through inclusion, we provide funding to JCHAI, which offers a variety of outstanding housing and support services for people with developmental disabilities.
Our grant supports the JCHAI At Home program. Highly skilled social workers teach independent living to clients who are in their own apartments or living with their families. JCHAI At Home highlights include:
- Training individuals in personal care, money management, maintaining an apartment and appropriate behavior.
- Offering help in securing employment and, when necessary, in transitioning from living with parents to living in independent apartments.
- Providing socialization through excursions and activities that bring together JCHAI At Home clients with JCHAI residential clients.
- A network of volunteer opportunities that provide peer interaction for clients and help them to learn to work with each other and in the community.
- A customized plan for each client.
JCHAI was recently selected by the Genesis Foundation and the Jewish Funders Network, in honor of Itzhak Perlman, as a winner of the Breaking Barriers Award. The initiative, which promotes inclusion of people living with disabilities in North American Jewish life, identified 22 projects to receive matching funds.
The Jewish Federation is honored to partner with JCHAI to ensure Greater Philadelphia’s adults can live independent, fulfilling lives, while giving peace of mind to their families. For a complete list of current Jewish Federation grantees, please click here.