For your Rosh Hashanah dessert, bring in the new year with a sweet dish filled with fragrant apples, courtesy of the “Spice Girls’” delicious Israeli-American recipes. B’te-avon (bon appétit)!
Grandma Pearl’s Famous Strudel
Ingredients (makes 2-3 strudels):
For the filling:
2 12-oz. jars of jam (apricot and black cherry is traditional)
½ cup yellow raisins
2 green apples, grated
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. sugar
1 cup crushed walnuts
1 cup bread crumbs
For the dough:
1 cup oil
2½ cups flour + 1 cup for folding
2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Mix together the jam, raisins and apples, then refrigerate.
3. Mix together the ingredients for the dough until uniform and smooth, then let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Combine the cinnamon, sugar and crushed walnuts in a small bowl.
5. Roll out ½ or ⅓ of the dough onto a cloth. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs, then with the walnut-sugar-cinnamon mixture. Repeat to make 2-3 strudels.
6. Remove the filling from the refrigerator; spread out evenly onto each strudel.
7. Fold the dough: Fold the right third onto the middle third, then the left third on top. Repeat for each strudel.
8. Sprinkle some walnut-sugar-cinnamon mixture over the top and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour.
9. Cut into 1” slices when cool.