On Tu B’Shevat, Festival of the Trees, we celebrate nature’s bounty with a holiday meal bursting with healthy fruits, nuts, grains and vegetables. This easy, no-bake cookie recipe from the “Spice Girls’” Israeli-American cookbook is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. B’te-avon (bon appétit)!
Date and Nut Cookies
Ingredients (makes 24 balls):
1 cup dates, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
Use any or all of the following:
¼ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
3 tbsp shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 oz colored candy for decoration
- In a food processor, grate the nuts coarsely. Place in a bowl.
- Add the dates and mix with your hands until it is well-combined.
- With your hands, shape approximately 1 tablespoon of mixture into small, uniform balls.
- Roll each ball in either the flaked coconut, cocoa powder, or the colored candy.
- Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator.